Monday, July 12, 2010

Grace and Peace


The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever.
Isaiah 40:8

When we arrive for worship each Sunday morning, our favorite usher greets us with a smile and places in our hands the Weekly Bulletin. The bulletin contains the kinds of things that might immediately come to mind, but there's a special little section I usually go to right away. It's called Preparing for Worship.

This is what was recorded there yesterday...

"If you believe that God ought to bless you and help you because you have worked so hard to obey him and be a good person, then Jesus may be your helper, your example, even your inspiration, but he is not your Savior. You are serving as your own Savior."

Timothy Keller
Excerpt from the book "The Prodigal God"

I don't know about you, but I had to read that through a couple of times to take it all in. Are you serving as your own Savior? I remember many years ago thinking there was something I had to do. I didn't know what it was, but I just figured there was something. I was wrong.

Here's one way I knew for sure...

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.
Ephesians 2:8-9

Rachel has been cutting out and saving these Preparing for Worship quotes for quite some time. I asked her to bring me a few and she ended up bringing me a stack! So, here are a couple of quotes that touched my heart. I hope they touch your heart too.

"But I am a great sinner, sayest thou.
'I will in no wise cast out,' says Christ.
But I am an old sinner, sayest thou.
'I will in no wise cast out,' says Christ.
But I am a hard-hearted sinner, sayest thou.
'I will in no wise cast out,' says Christ.
But I have served Satan all my days, sayest thou.
'I will in no wise cast out,' says Christ.
But I have no good thing to bring with me, sayest thou.
'I will in no wise cast out,' says Christ.
Thus I might go on to the end of things, and show you that still this promise was provided to answer all objects."

John Bunyan (1628-1688)
Excerpt from the book, Fearless Pilgrim

"Jesus has forced open a door that had been locked since the death of the first man. He has met, fought and beaten the King of Death. Everything is different because he has done so."

C.S. Lewis (1898-1963)
Author

"Could any privilege be greater than that fallen and sinful creatures should be pardoned by the great God and brought into eternal fellowship with Himself in Christ? This is the privilege and honor that the Eternal has given to all who are in Christ."

Maurice Roberts
Pastor and Author

Scribbles in my Bible...

Grace--what God gives us that we don't deserve

Mercy--what God does not give us yet what we do deserve (punishment and death)

Grace and peace in the Lord Jesus Christ,

2 comments:

  1. Good morning, Michelle! Awesome post, as always! Here's a special treat to brighten your day: http://chaimommy.blogspot.com/2010/07/check-it-out-im-beautiful-blogger.html Enjoy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing, Denise! Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. And yes, you have certainly brightened my day :o)

    ReplyDelete