Friday, August 20, 2010

Mama's Granola



I don't know what got me to thinking about granola this afternoon. Maybe it's because school is fast approaching or because fall is just around the corner. This is one of those fabulous recipes I came across a number of years ago. I've tweaked a little here and there and so can you.

I don't know. Don't you think some mini chocolate chips added to the batch after everything has cooled might be yummy?

Mama's Granola

What you will need:

3 cups rolled oats
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup cashews
3/4 cup shredded sweet coconut
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup (the real stuff)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup craisins

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. In a large bowl combine the oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar. In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, oil, and salt. Combine both mixtures and pour onto two sheet pans. Cook for one hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a large bowl. Add craisins and mix until evenly distributed.

And just so you know, I always double this whenever I make it.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Fall? Did you say Fall? Cooler temps, shorter days - Fall?
    I LOVE Fall. I LOVE getting back to school. As much as I did enjoy a lot of my 'free-er' time when the guys were homeschooling high school (meaning mostly self-motivated, self-taught), I always knew that my wish was to be able to help my daughters-in-love (Lord willing) school my grandkids (either one subject, or field trips, or giving the mamas some time off). Well, the Lord answered that one with our gift of Anna. So after Labor Day, I start our 19th year of home schooling, looking towards many more!!
    Carl has been asking me for a good granola recipe. I am excited to try this in a few weeks.
    Have safe travels as you get your kids. I wish I could be in the car with you to hear all the stories!
    Blessings!
    Love, teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I'm going to make this. But I'll be "Tweeking" too. Adding some cut up dried apricots, some other nuts. Thank you for sharing. I've made Granola for the School Cafe. Back when~~~ used Honey, but this looks WONDERFUL.
    School starting again? Just where did summer go? Have a Great Year!
    Love ya-all
    ElBel

    ReplyDelete