Friday, July 16, 2010

Banana Cream Supreme


Half of my hydrangeas 2010...yes, half


It's Friday and it's recipe day. Yeah! Actually, Rachel and I have been on a bit of a cooking spree of sorts since last night. She whipped up the best batch of Quick Homemade Salsa since it's always good to have some on hand for the weekend. Two days ago I had taken a turkey breast out of the freezer and realized this morning I had best do something with it. So I prepped and roasted it. In the words of Rachael Ray, "Yummo!" Did you know that you should roast a turkey and/or turkey breast upside down? Yep. It self-bastes that way. It may not come out looking like the cover of Better Homes and Gardens, but it's guaranteed to be the most moist turkey you've ever eaten. Anyway, should make great sandwiches tonight and tomorrow and the next day. Anyone want some roasted turkey breast?

Then, as if that wasn't enough, we whipped up some fresh baked pies. We decided that words starting with the letter "P" should somehow be applied to our day. So, PIES, PATIO, PIANO PLAYING on the PATIO, and PALS (I know, that's a stretch) should be included. But that's what we're intending to do. GUITAR PLAYING too, but unfortunately guitar doesn't start with a "P".

None of this has anything to do with today's recipe except, I suppose, it's originally from Pampered Chef (you know, a "P" word). But it shouldn't surprise you that I have altered the recipe. I made this a couple of times many years ago and the thing never set-up for me. It was like cutting thick soup. I am convinced the original recipe was wrong although I still see it out there floating around on the Web. I changed one item: sour cream to cream cheese. It's worked every time since. So there.

Banana Cream Supreme

What you will need:

16 (2½-inch) graham cracker squares (1¼ cups chopped)*
¼ cup butter or margarine melted
3 tablespoons sugar
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese
½ cup cold milk
1 package (3.4 ounces) vanilla instant pudding
1 container (12 ounces) Cool Whip (thawed)
3 medium bananas, sliced
2 tablespoons pecans, grated
Raspberries and mint leaves (optional)

Mix together chopped graham crackers, butter and sugar. Press crumb mixture onto bottom of 9” springform pan. Beat cream cheese and milk until well blended; add pudding mix and blend until pudding is dissolved. Add whipped topping, mixing until well blended. Spread half of filling over crust; arrange sliced bananas over filling. Spread remaining filling over bananas. Grate pecans over top and garnish with raspberries and mint leaves, if desired. Refrigerate. To serve, remove collar from springform pan.

Note: I am known to double the filling. And why not?

Now about those hydrangeas up there...they have nothing to do with this recipe either except they are located on the patio and they are absolutely fabulous this year. Last year I had lots of green leaves and only a handful of blooms (which I dried). This year, well, the picture speaks for itself. Someone said it was due to the warm spring weather. Be sure, there's another planter just like that one on the other side of the grill and counter. It's also overflowing with pink and blue blossoms. Helps to make up for my pathetic impatiens (which happen to be the worse pots of flowers since I've been planting them...14 years).

Enjoy and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment