Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Enjoy Today!


I had a diversion yesterday. Had I been on a flight to the west coast and found myself diverted to say, Hawaii, or some place fun, I wouldn't have minded. But this was a diversion I didn't like. Not one little bit.

I had a touch of the flu over the weekend. It started Friday night, but I felt much better by Sunday afternoon. I hardly ever get sick, let alone catch the flu, so I just hung out and did my time. Monday was a new day and I felt fine. Until Monday evening. My left shoulder and arm started hurting. And yesterday when I woke-up, it actually felt worse. I also had a cough that developed from the flu. I made an appointment to see my family doctor early in the afternoon. Because of the continued shoulder and arm pain, they ran an EKG. Everything came back fine.

As the day progressed, however, the pain worsened. By 8 o'clock last night, the pain in my arm was so bad my fingers were numb. I had pain radiating in my jaw, felt sick to my stomach and broke out in a cold sweat. With the exception of pain in my chest, I pretty much had every classic symptom of a heart attack. I called my sister-in-love, who is a nurse, and she urged me to go straight to the ER.

I will pause here for a moment and just let you know that while I appreciate doctors and all they do, I have not had many good experiences with them over the years. They seem to screw-up on me just about every time I have an encounter with one. While I'll save it for another time, my favorite is the ER doctor who, over 14 years ago, told me I was faking "it" and then told my husband he could have me moved to another hospital if we didn't like her diagnosis. And he did just that. Hours later, it was discovered that at eleven weeks gestation, I had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy, with twins, and almost bled to death. My Caleb, the only child to ever survive such circumstances, miraculously survived.

So I found myself at the ER last night. They immediately did an EKG which also came back fine. All the blood work came back fine. The doctor said that because I had had the symptoms for over 24 hours, they were sure if it was heart related something would have shown-up in the blood work. The doctor told me that I had less than a 1% chance of having a heart issue. I thought that was an interesting number he threw out there. It certainly made me feel better about my situation. My husband and I arrived back home about 2 o'clock this morning.

I'm just chillin' today. Layin' low. Thankful to be home and feeling a little better.

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

Psalm 139:1-6 God has perfect knowledge of us, and all our thoughts and actions are open before him. It is more profitable to meditate on Divine truths, applying them to our own cases, and with hearts lifted to God in prayer, than with a curious or disputing frame of mind. That God knows all things, is omniscient; that he is every where, is omnipresent; are truths acknowledged by all, yet they are seldom rightly believed in by mankind. God takes strict notice of every step we take, every right step and every by step. He knows what rule we walk by, what end we walk toward, what company we walk with. When I am withdrawn from all company, thou knowest what I have in my heart. There is not a vain word, not a good word, but thou knowest from what thought it came, and with what design it was uttered. Wherever we are, we are under the eye and hand of God. We cannot by searching find how God searches us out; nor do we know how we are known. Such thoughts should restrain us from sin.

Enjoy today!

3 comments:

  1. I wondered why I didn't hear back from you - but now I know why I was prompted to pray so much for you after our phone call! Hope you are resting better today, in the palm of Our Lord's Hand! Hugs dear one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! I'm praying for you! <3 And thanks for posting that selection from Matthew Henry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your prayers, my friends. I am feeling much better today and am so thankful for the Lord's kindness toward me.

    I'm thinking that commentary on Psalm 139 needs framed and placed on our wall of quotes. It brought me great peace today.

    ReplyDelete