Monday, March 29, 2010

My Own Einstein



We will finish up our 9th year of homeschooling at the end of May. It has been a wonderful journey for our family and we look forward to seeing what the future holds. I have found God so faithful in helping me all along the way, in every detail.

We started this journey when Caleb was just 4 and Rachel was 2. I figured she could sit with us and do whatever she wanted, for as long as she wanted. We started off by learning a letter and number of the week (preschool as I like to call it). We also used Before Five in a Row which really started my children's love for reading great books. Every afternoon we would snuggle on the big chair for an hour, reading wonderful books. Who knew this little two year old girl was getting it! That's why today, both kids, even though they are two years apart, are in the same grade. Which is great for me, but sometimes not so great for them.

We made sure when they chose a musical instrument almost 7 years ago, they chose different instruments. Caleb chose guitar. Rachel chose piano. For the most part, this has allowed them freedom to develop and mature as individual musicians. They performed together at church for the first time on Christmas Eve. Caleb played guitar and Rachel sang. It brought great joy to this mother's heart.

Sometimes, however, comparisons are made and challenges arise. Math can be that one area. Caleb is my very creative, free-thinking, problem-solving, Energizer Bunny. He goes and goes and goes and is usually thinking about what's next. This doesn't necessarily bode well for math (although I will say he has always been an A/B student). Rachel, on the other hand, is very detail-oriented, a logical thinker, note-taker, and must complete a task before moving onto the next thing. As you might guess, this kind of thinking is more conducive to math.

Up until recently, my name would be called whenever a question or additional explanation was needed. I would step-in, help explain the concept, and my student would be on his/her merry way. That is until Algebra.

I did very well in school, but unfortunately for me, I studied to do well on a test. I got mostly A's. Once the test was over, however, not much remained up there, if you know what I mean. Thus, Algebra is something I have to re-learn. I have found this easier the second time around.

A few days ago, Caleb called for Rachel instead of me (that ought to tell you something). He asked if she could help him with an equation. I heard her walking him through, step by step. He had to do the problem, though, and came up with an answer. They both got the problem correct, so I didn't think anything of it. That is, until lunchtime. Here's how their little conversation went:

"Rachel, you know that problem you were helping me with? Well, I thought your way was confusing, so I did it my way. I thought my way was easier. I actually got the answer right."

"Oh... Well, OK."

"I just thought I'd tell you that today, I was my own Einstein."

Today...I was my own Einstein!

I actually laughed out loud. That's a great line, don't you think? I can't say I've ever had an Einstein moment, but I was so happy that he was happy.


P.S. This is the post that was lost when my internet connection died...somehow it magically appeared today. How weird is that?

2 comments:

  1. That *is* a great line! :)

    In order to change where the post has published, you can go to "Edit Posts" from your Dashboard, click "Edit" on this post, click "Post Options" at the bottom left, and change the date of publication to today; that should move it up.

    How old are Caleb and Rachel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been so helpful to me, Amanda! I'm still trying to figure this stuff out and appreciate your insight.

    Rachel turns 12 next month and Caleb will be 14 in July!

    I understand you are quite an accomplished pianist. We'll have to figure out how to have you and Rachel meet sometime.

    ReplyDelete