Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Cutest Things


Do you know what this is? This was last year's nemesis. Meet Rocky. You know, Rocky? Rocky, friend of Bullwinkle? Yes, this is a flying squirrel.

I love spring. I can't wait to get outside and start scratching around. I can't wait to get the patio opened. I can't wait to get my pots out and get them filled with flowers. I can't wait to have our first fire in the fire pit. What can wait are the creatures that come out of the woodwork. Last year, it was literally.

It started when we heard noises outside our bedroom wall. We would hear the occasional scratching. We've had mice in the attic before (yes, I know) so, we set-up peanut butter baited traps. Nothing happened. That is until the day when my husband found a really big mouse. An unusual looking big mouse. He put on thick leather gloves and was able to catch the varmint. As soon as I saw it, I knew what it was.

I knew because when we were kids, we caught these little creatures on the roof of my father's barn. I took them to school for Show and Tell. We named them Pixy and Dixy and kept them for pets. Somehow when you're a kid, creatures like this are cool. Not so when you're an adult and find they've moved into your house.

These flying squirrels had made their community dwelling inside the overhang of our roof, just off the chimney. As far as we know, only one made it inside the attic (the one he thought was a big mouse). My husband had to get very creative in order to catch these guys. He built a platform and attached it to the tree they would jump on from the roof. We watched them do this every night at dusk...it was an incredible sight. These little guys couldn't resist walnuts. Once inside the "live" trap, Bang! At least he left home with a full belly, right? My diligent husband caught them one at a time. All thirteen of them. All but two made it to a nearby forest where my children prayed they would be reunited.

It's spring. Just wondering if any creatures will make themselves known to us again this year.

Come on, they are the cutest things, aren't they?!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, that just DOES not sound appealing. :S Though...they are kind of cute. ;P

    ReplyDelete