Monday, October 11, 2010

Carved in Stone

We went to Huntington Beach over the weekend just to try and enjoy one of the last days of warm weather. It was a beautiful afternoon to walk in the sand while listening to the waves come ashore.

It's a good thing I don't live near a beach. I'd never get anything done. Well, at least that's what I think at the moment. I suppose if I lived near the beach, I'd get used to knowing it was always there. I'd be one of those people you'd see walking along the water's edge every single day.

We happened upon some huge stones that were used to make a breaker wall. I couldn't believe how many people had taken a considerable amount of time making their mark. You can tell by the dates that some of these took years and years to complete. See if you can find your favorite.

I don't know about you, but I'd have to really, really, really love a radio station in order to spend the time and effort to carve its call letters into a stone. Yikes.

And then there's poor Jimmy. By the time he got done carving his girlfriend's name, she (or he) was long gone. Only the J was finished. I suppose some other future Jimmy and Carrie will find the rock, complete it, and stake their claim.

One last note from Yours Truly, Jack Roberts was one very diligent carver. He has two carvings! One of them is my favorite. Can you guess which one?























All these carvings in stone got me to thinking about something. I have this little quote hanging in our guest powder room:

If we work on marble, it will perish; if on brass, time will efface it; if we rear temples, they will crumble into dust; but if we work upon immortal minds and imbue them with principles, with the just fear of God and the love of our fellowmen, we engrave on those tablets something that will brighten to all eternity. Daniel Webster 1852

In time, winds and waves will erase the names and dates, even those deeply carved. Those names, however, that are written in the Lamb's book of life, will endure for all eternity.

Is your name written in the Lamb's book of life? If you're unsure, you might find this helpful.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle,

    It sounds like you had a lovely time at the beach. I simple adore to walk along the ocean shore, and if I lived near a beach, you best believe that I would spend time there almost every day! :)

    The engravings carved in stone were interesting. It looks like the people who did them spent much time with their creations. I'm curious as to what motivated them to spend so much time to "make their mark" on the world.

    Lastly, you are correct that the most important "mark" we can make is to have our names engraved into the Book of Life.

    Blessings to you,

    -Lady Rose

    ReplyDelete