Monday, January 17, 2011

Monday's Maybe


Peanut brittle...and more!

Let me start by saying I find myself in a bit of a dilemma on Mondays. I practically live in my car on Mondays. And so, not being home much, I have found it hard to post a blog on Monday, which then carries over to Tuesday, and sometimes, as you know, beyond that. I find that if I get behind on Monday, I'm behind the rest of the week. Trust me, it's not a good thing.

Hence my thoughts for future Monday posts which I have aptly entitled "Monday's Maybe." Why maybe? Because maybe on Monday I can squeeze in a quick picture and a short blog post. Brilliant, I know. If you see a Monday's Maybe somewhere else out there in the blog-o-sphere, just remember, it started here with Yours Truly!

So, that picture was taken on December 23rd. This was my very first try at making homemade peanut brittle. Our dear friends brought some with them one evening when we got together and, well, we all loved it. They were kind enough to share the recipe and so we just figured it would be a nice little treat over the Christmas holiday.

The recipe was easy enough. Actually, I followed it to a "T". At some point, however, I realized something wasn't quite right. As I stirred the very hot mixture (after it had cooked in the microwave for about 10 minutes), I started seeing little flecks of white. I dismissed it as part of the process (you know, the nuts mix in with the hot stuff and something changes temporarily). That is, until I pulled out the spatula and a portion of it was missing.

But never fear, I thought quickly, grabbed the camera, and made sure I could turn this disaster into a future blog post. Who knew?

I let the entire mess cool into a giant hard mass of rubber and brittle all mixed together. The spatula was stuck right smack dab in the middle! I couldn't help but wonder what poor sorter at the recycle facility would think as it passed him by on the conveyor belt. "Huh? What the heck was that?"

Lesson: Use a heat proof spatula when making homemade peanut brittle.

Here's the great part...our neighbor came over on the afternoon of Christmas Eve with a gift bag for our family. Imagine our surprise to find two boxes of world-famous peanut brittle! And, no, they had absolutely no idea of the disaster that had occurred in my kitchen less than 24 hours before.

Don't ya just love a story with a happy ending?

Here's to Mondays!

No comments:

Post a Comment