Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Big Dose of Today


Skyline of the Great North Coast



Two very happy beach-goers



The waves were perfect...and lots of fun to walk through



Caleb could have hung out here all afternoon



Evan, still mostly dry at this point

I told the kids yesterday (on Mad Monday) if we could get all our indoor work out of the way, we could spend the next seven to ten days enjoying what the local weatherman is promising... absolutely perfect weather. Can I just say, "It's about time!" We've had so much rain that even my impatiens were getting water-logged.

So this morning, on a whim, we hopped in the car, picked-up my sister-in-love and her two younglings, and drove to the beach. It was a picture-perfect day with a back drop of sapphire skies and wonderful warm sunshine. Oh, did we ever need a big dose of today!

There's something to be said about hearing the surf constantly breaking on shore. I found it to be so comforting. I think I could have parked myself on a blanket and stayed there for hours on end. It was only about 70 degrees today and the water temperature was 65...not exactly great swimming weather, but fantastic walking-in-bare-feet weather. The kids have already asked if we can go back tomorrow.

While walking on the beach, a fairly sizeable inlet had formed from the tide waters coming ashore. At the far end of it, an adult could easily take a couple steps and be on the other side. And that's exactly what Caleb did. My little almost-four-year-old nephew, Evan, decided he was going to do the same thing. The only problem--Evan is just a little guy and, what was an easy two-steps for Caleb, ended up being many steps for Evan. And then he decided running might help. We saw what was going to happen just as it was about to happen. The soft sand gave way under his little feet, he lost his balance, and ended up, fully dressed, in the water. The look on his face was priceless. Somewhat of wonder and shock at the same time. Then, we find out later that after he stood-up and got out of the water, he looked at Caleb and said, "I didn't mean to do that!" Not exactly what you might expect to hear from an almost-four-year-old. How absolutely adorable is that?

It was truly a wonderful day. I am so thankful that God sees us where we are as we walk along this journey of life. He knows exactly what we need. And to top it all off, He blesses us with magnificent beauty. The sights, the sounds, the smells, the wonder of it all.

1 Corinthians 2:9
But, as it is written, “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him.”

Amazed again,

3 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 30, 2010

    Reading your post has already allowed me to relive the whole day! The beautiful weather paired with some of Cleveland's best landscape and 5 of my favorite people definitely made for a perfect - if slightly damp - day! Love you guys!
    ~julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen - looks like you had a beautiful day! :D Keep enjoying the weather. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJune 30, 2010

    I know that you clarified me asking if we can go back to the beach today, but... "Can we go back to the beach today?!" I had the most fun I have had in a while even though I was walking in the waves. What will is be like if I were to swim in them?
    ~Rachel~

    ReplyDelete